Plated: Mac & Cheese
- 1 pound pasta, penne, or campanelle
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Bring about 4 quarts of water to a boil over high heat in large heavy-bottom pot. Cook pasta per package directions. Drain in colander and set aside.
- Place pot back on stovetop and melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle butter with flour and whisk until well combined, cook for approximately 2 to 3 minutes while continuously whisking. Gradually whisk in warmed milk. Over low heat, let sauce simmer, stirring often to ensure milk doesn’t burn, until it begins to thicken or coats the back of a spoon. Stir in salt, dry mustard powder, nutmeg, and pepper. Add in shredded cheese a ½ cup at a time, making sure it’s melted before adding more. Stir in cooked pasta until coated.
- Pour into a serving dish and serve immediately.
Category: Plated: Mac & Cheese